Îò Skvortsov Îòâåòèòü íà ñîîáùåíèå
Ê Êîñòðîìà
Äàòà 17.09.2020 00:29:36 Íàéòè â äåðåâå
Ðóáðèêè WWII; Ñòðåëêîâîå îðóæèå; Âåðñèÿ äëÿ ïå÷àòè

ß âàñ íàâåðíîå óäèâëþ

Îäèí áîé íà Ôîëêëåíäàõ, ãäå àíãëè÷àíå âñå òàñêàëè íà ñåáå.

Vincent Bramley,"Forward into Hell"

The empty cases piled up as Bob fired about four hundred rounds.

I leaned over to Lieutenant Oliver. ‘Sir, we’re nearly out of ammo.’
‘What, how the fuck can that be?’
‘That ACC lad has got to be back there with the sandbag load,’ I said.
Lieutenant Oliver got up and went to the rest area. About three minutes later, a bag of ammo was dumped on Sas.
‘Right, get linking. Quick,’ the lieutenant said.
………….
‘Sir, we will need more ammo soon.’
‘How much you got left there, Corporal B?’
‘About two thousand rounds.’
‘Right. I’ll see to it.’
Within fifteen minutes, bodies appeared out of the darkness and started to drop ammo at Sas’s feet. He was now very busy. Our gun had been firing for some ten minutes. The steady fire of the gun echoed around us. The bursts of fire had warmed the barrel so much that it glowed red-hot in the darkness.
………..
‘Stoppage!’ screamed Bob.
‘OK, let’s change barrels, now.’
I cleared the weapon and we moved the barrel without touching it. The glowing barrel sizzled as I placed it on the frozen grass. Immediately, the replacement barrel burst into life.
We’d been firing across the hill for about forty minutes.
………
Suddenly, the air around me seemed to disappear. I heard a loud ‘whoosh’, followed by a
terrific explosion behind me. The impact shook the ground. My para smock was pulled up through my webbing and I lay there completely stunned for a few seconds.
…………
All of us just went on firing. We had only about six hundred rounds left when the CSM shouted to us to stop. While the gun cooled, we sat on our sides and looked at each other again, taking a brief rest.
‘Sir, what happened?’ I asked.
‘Yeah,’ shouted Bob, ‘my fucking head is ringing.’
‘I think they fired a rocket or something – not sure,’ replied the PC.
……….
The gun erupted into life again and carried on firing.
When we had spent our last six hundred rounds we screamed out, ‘Need more ammo, need more ammo!’
About one thousand rounds were thrown at us from behind. Sas linked and passed it to us. The ammo wasn’t ours now, it was Argentinean. Some of the lads were searching empty bunkers now and bringing it up to us.
The battle had now been going on for some eleven hours. How long we had lain there firing I did not know.